back to article It's official: Nokia bets on Microsoft for smartphones

Nokia will adopt Windows Mobile as its main smartphone platform in a wide-ranging agreement with Microsoft. But it's not as wide-ranging as it might have been: the two giants won't formalise the relationship by forming a joint venture or spin-out, and there's no mention of exclusivity on any of the many areas touched on by the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. jotheberlock

On the other hand

There is also an experimental Qt port for Android...

If Google have any sense, they'll support Qt on Android officially. That way they have a hedge against the Java lawsuits.

1. David Garnier
    FAIL

Stockmarket reaction

As I speak, on the Euronext Nokia is down about 9% and Microsoft up 3%, which is what anyone would expect: Nokia finally admitting defeat and Microsoft's mobile division getting supercharged.

2. chr0m4t1c

I wonder where we go from here.

I hadn't realised that Elop was a former MS man; that rather rendered earlier speculation moot; if he had left under a cloud they would have gone with Android, otherwise it would be WM7.

I wonder if this is a new MS strategy to take over the world, by getting ex-MS (but friendly) people into senior positions in other companies.

I also wonder if the current crop of flagship models will get WM7 instead of Symbian^4 or if Nokia will take their usual route of pretending they never made them and just stopping all updates.

Here's a clue Nokia: One of the reasons that knowledgeable users are switching to Android and iOS is because they can be sure that there will be newer version of the OS and there's a reasonable chance they will be able to put it on their phone if it's less than two years old. That kind of thing leads to recommendations to others

3. Cosmo
    Dead Vulture

In the words of Vader

Nooooooooooooooo! Oh Nokia, what have you done by getting into bed with Microsoft. Android was the way to go. RIP-

4. RichyS
    FAIL

Cheerio Nokia

Oh well, I guess Nokia had a few good years.

It was nice knowing you...

5. GregC
    Stop

'Bye then Nokia

Shame. I love my N900, and my N770 and 800 before it, but it looks like it will be my last Nokia phone - unless they actually, ever, ship the N9 with Meego.

So I'm left with no choice but Android for my next phone I guess. How depressing.

1. BorkedAgain
      Happy

Cheer up Greg...

It's actually quite good.

In fact, pretty much everyone who's asked me to give 'em a quick demo has gone away wanting one. Including some iPhone4 users, and at least one person with a Nokia handset ruining the line of his suit.

Isn't that encouraging? Come... Join us...

6. envmod

and you guys laughed

at me when i predicted (last year) the end of Nokia within 5 years....just watch this space.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How is it possible for Nokia to be so crap at software?

After years of making all the wrong decisions with Symbian (S80 was good for it's time so of course they only ever used it on one 'phone) they're now moving to Windows. Are they insane?

Of course they've got history, almost all their 'phones require proprietary Windows based software to sync, backup and update. Said Windows software was far worse than their 'phone software which bodes reeeaaaalllly well.

Also, Orlowski comment! Woooo! (Normally such remarks get a good moderating but it's Friday, I'm in the mood!)

8. Schultz
    Thumb Up

Possible success

To be the lone contrarian here, let me predict SUCCESS!

They just have to create the 30$ Winphone with bells and whistles to show the world that there are cheap, powerful alternatives to the fancy Apple and Andorid offerings. Ooh, and those phones should appear within the year.

Let's see that multibillion-dollar war-chest again, and let's see it committed to a brighter world with lots of windows!

1. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Possible success

Shill! Shill! It's the only possible explanation for your opinion! Show us the cheque! Shiiiiillll! etc

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

My word. What a reaction!

Sarah. While I don't disagree with your statement, your reaction seems a bit extreme.

I know that you never claim to be without any bias, but you normally leave it to us to be quite so loud. Does this post infringe house rules 7 or 9? I would hate to see the moderator banned from the forum!

Ah. Maybe you left the screen lock off when you went for coffee or something, and it was not Sarah who wrote this!

Re: My word. What a reaction!

I'm sorry, I clearly wasn't sarcastic enough. I was being sarcastic. You know, because whenever anyone says anything favourable about a company here they are always mindlessly accused of being paid to say it.

Sigh.

1. James Hughes 1

@Sarah

You would have to be blind and stupid not to release that was sarcasm. So, Sarah, you are alright.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge
              Thumb Up

@James Hughes 1

I like to think that the moderator team enjoy us playing word games with them sometimes. I really was trying to be humorous myself, but maybe I was too subtle for some people.

If I manage to elicit a direct response from one of them once in a blue moon, then that makes all the comments I write worthwhile.

Re: @James Hughes 1

Oh. I didn't get it. Hey ho. Glad to be of... something.

2. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

Not in Nokia's lifetime

The royalty on WP7 alone is $55. So no cheap phones.

Nokia is now a terminal patient, just waiting for the inevitable end.

Redundancy announcements to follow.. we only need 50 people.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Gates Halo

$55 royalty??

$55 royalty was for CE. Windows Mobile was $8 - $15. WP7 probably less.

And don't forget that HTC pays Microsoft a royalty to use Android.

3. Richard Barnes

Re: Possible Success

How will they be able to create a $30 Winphone when MS are going to demand that or more per phone in licence fees for the OS?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"...and those phones should appear within the year."

Ah.

5. BorkedAgain
      Happy

Cheap, powerful alternatives...

...to the fancy Apple and Android offerings already exist. Some of the best run Android, mind, but they're not expensive. The Orange San Francisco, for example, is extremely capable, costs under a ton and can be unlocked for free.

Okay, it's not $30, but it does have the distinct advantage of actually existing...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

RIP Nokia

What a pity. I've always liked Nokia phones, but I think this will swing me to Android when I need to replace the current one.

10. Mahou Saru

MS - Masters of Stealth

Can't win with the tech, ninja them and force them to use WM7. I wonder what will happen with the low end phone market? They do say WM7 for smartphone, so I guess that leaves Symbian for low end and MeeGo out of the door with Torres....

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Odd one out

Well I must be the only one but I don't mind the sound of a Nokia running WP7.

1. hplasm
      Happy

How does that sound?

Like a grinding noise- or is that the user's teeth?

1. Richard 116

Why?

What's your Nokia running WP7 like? Is it bad?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Looking at WP7 marketshare

yes I think you are the only one....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I don't use certain kit because everyone else does

Happy to be the only one, I will use what I find best for my needs, not scuttle for cover and protection in crowds. I also don't judge on what is suitable for my needs by marketshare.

12. James 47

No Android because...

Nokia need to figure out a way to make money from Navteq, which cost them billions to buy. If they went Android they'd be tied to Google Maps.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

ok

And they knew they were just too shit at sw to ever get meego to fly? Maybe, maybe.

I guess writing off the investment in Qt is easier for them to stomach - for the same reason perhaps

2. simpfeld

Not really

You are free to customise on Android (unlike WM7). Just have to make sure Navteq is better that Google Maps and people will use it.

3. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Thats tosh

You can use Android without having to use Googles services.

13. Matt Bucknall

Goodbye Nokia...

Hello HTC.

14. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Should Have Gone Android

At least in the short term until Meego was completed.

Nokia, welcome to the world of dull MS where your WP7 phones will have all the imagination and design flair of Steve Ballmer's wardrobe.

I wonder what's going to happen to Qt ?

15. fishyuk
    Thumb Up

Great news, will help both a lot.

Rather unfashionable for the Reg it seems but WP7 is a fantastic OS. Whilst upgrading my HD2 from the POS that is WP6.5 to Android has been great for me it still feels old, clunky and fugly compared to my WP7 Optimus.

Looking forward to some nice hardware from Nokia and glad that increased visibility will help even more apps appear on the platform.

Also really pleased that the usual MS haters are so put out, fantastic.

1. fiddley
      Grenade

Agreed!

I can confidently predict most people here haven't even tried the ting... I've got a Samsung Omnia 7, Galaxy S and I've been trialling an N8 recently.

Windows phone 7 dumps on android & nokia from some considerable altitude.

I lost my WP7 last weekend and during the wait to get a replacement using the galaxy S was probably less fun than having my eyes sucked out with a Dyson. MS are off to a steady rather than spectacular start but once this thing gains traction, I predict it's going to be a juggernaut, the great unwashed will lap it up. It's a brilliant piece of kit and I love it (v1.0 too)!! I also love the fact that no-one's seen one before, so you get people coming over to take a look like they did when no-one had an iPhone. So it makes me feel popular ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Paris Hilton

*Bless* your heart!

...so cute!

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Best subheading ever

Losers Alliance? Love it.

17. Fuzz

wow not much hope on this forum

personally I'm looking forward to a Nokia with the camera from the N8 but a decent OS. Also this sounds like Windows Phone will get turn by turn satnav which is the main thing holding me back from buying one.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yup...

It's mighty powerful Register-Commentard groupthink going on today.

I personally own a WinPhone 7, not because I'm an MS shill, but because I like it. It has faults sure, and proper sat nav will be nice but it's actually got a very nice well thought out UI.

I hardly think this is the end of Nokia or MS trying to infiltrate and extinguish them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Clearly in the minority here

But my thought was that a phone with the build quality of the top end Nokias running Mobile 7 would actually be pretty damn sweet.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RIP indeed

Not really surprised but still shocked. LIke 1st poster said this really needs two fail icons. Bye bye Nokia, you were actually a good company for a while. Why did you ever take up this snake Elop we'll never understand.

Just hope they spin off their bit from Nokia Siemens Networks, wouldn't wish to let Microsoft get into the hard core networking side too, that would put back the whole industry, and please leave your grubby hands off Qt too.

19. bob's hamster

Interesting Times

Desperation? Maybe, but the new Windows phones are very good. Personally I hope this gives them a bit of a spurt so that the market isn't 80% android in a couple of years. Apple? Well, they will trade market share for maintaining margin on products like in the late 80s, early 90s with their Mac II, SE, SE30 etc.

20. Leona A
    Unhappy

No surprise

This is of no surprise really is it? Come on Ex M$ bod joins Nokia, what do you think he's going to do? There is only one thing he knows, people don't like change or stepping out of their comfort zone, so he takes the company in a direct he knows best.

I was so hoping that Nokia would be brave enough to do something different, step outside the box, develop something for the enlightened people of the world, but sadly this is not going to be the case. I probably makes sense to Nokia, make phones for the masses and clones out there, if I wanted to be a clone, I'd have bought an Iphone, I want freedom, expression and the right to do what I want, now there is nothing that embraces that, they say they will develop Meego, but that'll disappear soon for sure, Sad Times :'(

21. dagger
    FAIL

RIP Nokia

Nokia has made many bad decisions in the past. But this one beats everything.

I loved Nokia and I'm devastated seeing it practically dead.

22. Shonko Kid
    FAIL

Which one looks happiest?

Well, if it turns out that Nokia are paying for WinPhone7, ever, then Ballmer has a right to grin, it could've just bought him a couple more years of chair throwing in Redmond.

23. Charles Calthrop

for some reason this makes me very sad

mega corp 4 screwed by mega corp 2, dunno why that is upsetting but it is, oh Nokia!

24. EtonBears
    FAIL

I haven't stopped laughing yet...

Images of 2 drunks propping each other up or 2 dinosaurs looking anxiously at the skies come to mind!

Nokia's problems stem from being unable to bring to market good engineering and design ideas with sufficient speed, neither of which will be significantly helped by trying to use Windows.

Micosoft's problems stem from having built a paranoid, inward-looking software empire that produces mediocre products slowly and fosters developer interest through fear rather than enthusiasm. Their prospects may be marginally improved by this announcement, but as long as they are unable to change their corporate culture ( leap off THEIR burning platform, if you will ), they will continue to be an also-ran in new makets.

I thought Meego had been too long in gestation to garner much support, but at least it was a move in sync with the general trend towards *nix based and open development models; looking backwards towards Microsoft seems poor judgement.

From a developer point of view, I want to construct my toolset around what makes most sense to me, picking and choosing what is best for my requirements. Both Symbian and Windows ( for different reasons ) make this difficult, and therefore are unattractive.

From a user point of view, I want a wide selection of different device experiences to choose from. Most people grow up with rapidly-changing technology now, and are quite able to learn any interface that is put in front of them.

From this point of view, Android has it right in that the underlying platform is a consistent ecosystem, but the interface can reflect the needs of the device it is running on, or the market the device is aimed at. Windows Mobile, on the other hand. has just returned to the Microsoft dark ages of preventing differentiation and providing a one-size-fits-nobody experience. No thanks.

Nokia probably should have chosen to go with some combination of Meego, Android and maybe even talked to Mark Shuttleworth at Canonical ( Ubuntu ) for their software needs, whilst getting their head round the challenge of resolving their design and engineering problems.

When it comes down to it though, Nokia are a big company that want control ( look at how their behaviour destroyed the promise of Symbian ) and Microsoft are a big company that want control. There will be tears before bedtime...

25. Andus McCoatover

Ohhh...This is BAD!!! Worse than expected.

It couldn't be worse, IMHO.

So, probably I guess, I'll have to accept a download^Wdowngrade on my new, shiny Nokia N8 to Windows Phone. If that happens, they cane have the bloody thing back, as it's not what I signed my 2-year contract for.

I signed it for both the hardware AND the software/OS.

"• Nokia’s content and application store will be integrated with Microsoft Marketplace for a more compelling consumer experience." End of OVI. Embrace, Extend, Extinguish. See no mention of the trademarked word "OVI" (door) in the Open Letter. However, I DO see "Bing", and "adCenter" - both Microsoft trademarks - in the statement. Interesting - the guys at Ovi must be crapping themselves.

One thing the statement made that I totally agree with:

"We each bring incredible assets to the table." Webster's "Incredible: too extraordinary and improbable to be believed."

I guess from Websters, one can also use "compelling" as : 'demanding attention'. That'll be Symbian, then.

Mary and Niklaus keep their jobs. This week.

Phew, what a day!!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You are safe

WinPho7 won't run on an N8, it doesn't have the horsepower. Symbian is fine, WP7 not so. Will also take at least a year to get any WP7 phones out of Nokia, and that new models, not upgrades to existing phones. Doubt they will even bother with WP7 upgrades to their existing range.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like